Baked Bratwursts & Sauerkraut
This moreish recipe from Tammy Circeo uses fresh Bratwurst sausages and pre-made sauerkraut, then adds extra flavours to the mix.
- 8 links Ziggys Fresh Bratwurst Sausages
- 2 cups julienned red onions
- 3 stubbies dark beer
- 170g chopped bacon
- 2 cups julienned onions
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 large sweet red apple
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp juniper berries, crushed
- 1 tsp black peppercorns, crushed
- 900g sauerkraut, drained
- Salt to season
- With a sharp knife or fork, prick each sausage several times. In a large pot, combine the red onions and beer and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add the bratwursts and poach until almost cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove the sausages from the liquid and set aside, reserving the liquid.
- In a large pot, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. If there's a lot of grease, pour some off.
- Add the onions to the fat in the pan and cook, stirring, until soft, 5-6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Add the apples, the bay leaf, peppercorns, and juniper berries.
- Finally add the drained sauerkraut and 3-4 soup ladles of the reserved beer that the brats were poached in. Reduce the heat and simmer for about an hour, stirring occasionally and adding more reserved beer if needed.
- Preheat the grill. Grill the sausages until cooked through and brown on the outside. Place the grilled sausages on top of the sauerkraut in the pot and serve.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, if desired, plenty of bread or pretzels, and your favourite mustard.
Click here to see the original recipe by Tammy Circeo
Recipe image by Tammy Circeo.