Homemade Fried Chicken Drumsticks
American-style crispy fried chicken drumsticks are fun to make and a little bit spicy. Perfect for a snack with friends.
- 6 Marion Bay Free Range Chicken Drumsticks
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 2 tsp coarse ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp hot sauce
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- canola oil for frying
- In a large bowl, mix the buttermilk, salt, pepper and hot sauce together. Add the chicken pieces and place in the refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- When ready to cook, remove the chicken and marinade from the fridge.
- In a medium bowl, mix the paprika and flour.
- On your workbench, place marinade bowl, flour bowl and a baking sheet all within easy reach.
- One at a time, remove the chicken from the buttermilk, then coat well in the flour and place on the baking sheet. Allow all the pieces to sit for 30 mins.
- Fill a large Dutch oven half way with canola oil (or use your deep fryer if you have one). Heat oil to 185 degrees C and fry the drumsticks, 3 at a time. Cook each batch for 10 - 15 minutes. Check that the chicken is cooked through.