Spinach-Stuffed Free Range Chicken Breast
Tender free range chicken breasts stuffed with a flavoursome spinach filling.
- 4 x Marion Bay Free Range Chicken Breast Fillets
- 1 1/4 teaspoons sea salt flakes divided
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 150g baby spinach leaves
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- ½ tsp dried sage
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup Feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsbp unsalted butter
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges, to serve
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 220C.
- Lay a chicken breast on the cutting board and press your hand on top to hold it into place. Insert the tip of a sharp chef’s knife into the center of the thickest part of the breast. First, cut a shallow slit long ways along the thickest part, leaving the thin end uncut. Use the knife to make the opening deeper, cutting 3/4 of the way through the breast towards the other side. Do not cut all the way through. Repeat with the remaining breasts. With paper towels, pat the chicken dry, then sprinkle the outsides with 3/4 sea salt.
- Add the olive oil to a large, oven-safe, non-stick skillet, and heat over medium-low heat. Add the shallot and cook for about 3 minutes, until softened.
- Stir in the sage, oregano, pepper, nutmeg, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, and the garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add the spinach a few handfuls at a time, stirring until it wilts. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the Feta, walnuts, and Parmesan.
- Stuff the filling inside the breast, dividing it evenly between each.
- Secure the opening with toothpicks, threading the toothpicks so that they are parallel to the counter.
- Wipe the skillet out and return to the heat, then add the butter and melt. Add the chicken breasts and sear on each side until light golden.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the chicken is fully cooked through.
- Transfer to a plate, cover and let rest 5 minutes before serving. Serve with lemon wedges.